Civil Marriage Ceremonies
You can exchange your vows at the Municipal Office during regular office hours or at another site depending on the availability of municipal staff. Wedding appointments must be made in person and a deposit is due at the time of booking. Please call the municipal office for availability at 705-544-7525.
- Valid Province of Ontario Marriage Licence (can be obtained through this office)
- Two (2) witnesses: Couples must provide two witnesses (one for each partner) who must be present at the ceremony, as specified in the Marriage Act.
- Identification: Couples must present valid identification for each partner, which confirms full legal name and age. Parental consent is required for persons who are 16 or 17 years of age.
- Marriage after divorce: If divorced in Canada, the couple must provide the original or a court-certified copy of the certificate of divorce, final decree or final judgment at the time of booking a ceremony. Photocopies will not be accepted.
- Language interpreter: Couples are responsible for bringing a language interpreter, if needed, for languages other than English.
Municipal staff will not solemnize the marriage of any person who he or she knows - or has reasonable grounds to believe - lacks capacity to marry. Circumstances which make a person ineligible for the civil marriage include:
- One or both parties are under physical or mental duress.
- One or both parties fail to meet the age requirements (both parties must be at least 18 years old to get married in Ontario. Parties who are 16 or 17 years old may marry only if they have the consent in writing of both parents)
- The parties are related as grandparent, parent, child, grandchild, brother or sister.
- One of both parties are currently married.
- One or both parties are mentally ill or under the influence of intoxicating liquor or drugs and incapable of understanding the nature of the marriage contract and the duties, obligations and responsibilities that result from marriage.
Note: A deposit of 50% will be required at time of booking and shall be retained by the Municipality should the scheduled ceremony be cancelled after the booking.