911 Numbers

If you have a green 911 emergency sign at the end of your driveway, make sure it is clearly displayed. Remember you are responsible for the condition of your 911 emergency sign.

Police Services

The Municipality of Charlton and Dack is serviced by the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP). The OPP operate out of a local detachment office and a regional headquarters.

  • For all emergencies contact 911.
  • For non emergencies contact the OPP at 1-888-310-1122.


Phone: 705-647-8400
Fax: 705-647-9266

Location Address:
Hwy 11
P0J 1H0

PHONE: 705-845-2700
FAX: 705-845-2797

Location Address:
911A Gormanville Road
North Bay
P1B 8G8

Emergency Prepardness


The following is a checklist for items that should be in the kit:

  • Flashlight
  • Radio
  • Spare batteries
  • First-aid kit
  • Candles, matches, lighter
  • Extra car keys and cash
  • Identification for members of your family
  • Food and bottled water
  • Clothing and footwear
  • Blankets and sleeping bags
  • Personal hygiene items
  • Medication
  • Whistle
  • Backpack
  • Playing cards





Fire Safety

The Ontario Fire Code requires that every home have a working smoke alarm.

  • A working smoke alarm will detect smoke and sound an alarm, giving everyone time to escape.
  • Install smoke alarms on every level of your home and near sleeping areas.
  • Test your smoke alarm monthly.
  • Change the batteries annually.
  • Replace your alarm every ten years.
  • Set up an escape plan - know at least two ways out of every room, pick a place outside where everyone can meet, practice your escape plan.

Fire Services

The Municipality of Charlton and Dack has fire protection provided by the Englehart and Area Fire Department. The volunteer fire department has approximetly 25 volunteers and a second Fire Tanker is stationed at the Fire Hall in Charlton.


From April 1 to October 31 each year all residents must apply for a fire permit regardless of its purpose.  There is no cost for the permits and they help the local fire departments to monitor the fires burning in the area.

- windrow or incinerator permit is issued for the full season.

- a 3 day permit will allow for open air burning such as grass, debris and brush.

Remember that you must have a means of extinguishing the fire available on site at all times.

During certain times of the year the Ministry of Natural Resources will issue warnings. Fires cannot be conducted during these times. It is up to the owner to ensure that the fires are conducted in accordance with regulations.

MNR Forest Fire Danger Map for Ontario